MultiViews – is it that hard?

March 3, 2005 | Web Design & Development

I’m getting close to getting a simple blog up for the monkey. She’s been wanting a blog so that she can get some freeform writing done and just plain have fun with publishing a bit of content – even if it will only be read by a few people.

I have the framework done, it is very much a mirror of what I’m doing here, but with a few enhancements in code to fix a few blunders I made over here.

Still not perfect, but closer to better than this one is.

But when I uploaded the site to my 1and1 server the site fails. Why? MultiViews are not enabled on the server. So I contact tech support and ask them to look into it and what do I get back? An email saying that Mod_negotiation is working just fine. Well, no, MultiViews is enabled by mod_negotiation but MultiVeiws has to be specifically stated in the directory options for a site. The server is running apache 1.3.x so the problem lies, most likely, within the httpd.conf (or apache.conf, depending on the install) and will most likely be in the virtual host listing for my account. But no – when I try to enable MultiViews with the .htaccess file nothing happens – zip – nada. So I can only assume that I am right in that the conf file needs updating. Granted, it will require a restart of apache but that takes seconds, even for a large multihosted server.

It’ll be interesting to see what they come back with in their next email because I told them where to look to see if MultiViews was even enabled for the server – if its not then I may need to either purchase web space or bring it in locally on Gossamer (300mhz iBook) and see if he can handle the load of two sites being served and bangin’ away on a SQL server.

On a side note: anyone know how to check if multiviews is enabled other than trying to load a page? Will apachectl report back anything useful as to server config?

Anyway.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon so I can get Puddlemonkey.com up and running properly and get her the blog I’ve been promising for a little while now.

Even if it is nothing new it is fun and can be theraputic at times. Just to be able to get the mundane details of life out of your system is a big bonus.

• did you try +MultiViews on .htaccess?

Tom, March 5, 2005 4:53 pm | permalink

• But of course…

shawn, March 5, 2005 5:33 pm | permalink

• Oi!

1and1 came back again with a description of how mod_negitiation should work and completely disregarded the section on MultiViews. I’m not sure why but they must have it disabled deliberately or just don’t allow all overrides via .htaccess.

Either way, they’re convinced they have it running right but the server still won’t load index unless it has .php at the end. That kind of kills my method of templating – and I know I’m not alone in using this method.

shawn, March 7, 2005 12:40 pm | permalink

• Or shawn, try adding AddHandler and setting all the files under a folder a php document regardless of the file extension. Then, change index.php to index. Try if that works.

Tom, March 8, 2005 11:23 pm | permalink

• :wonders if shawn got the last comment:

Tom, March 13, 2005 1:13 pm | permalink

• Its not an handling issue – if I look for /index it returns a 404. MultiViews has not been enabled on the account so it simply won’t look for the file.

And I kinda see where you’re going with it – I’d prefer not to go changing the templates on that system… it mirrors what I have going on in my blog and I’d like to keep it as simple as copying over templates when updates are done on mine.

shawn, March 14, 2005 10:49 am | permalink

• what i’m saying is, get rid of the ".php" of index.php. Then since it doesn’t have the .php at the end of the file, Apache will only recognize it as a text file. So add a handler that all the files under the folder is .php. A smiple .htaccess can do this.

Tom, March 15, 2005 3:28 pm | permalink

• That’s a thought – then I would only have to edit the root level pages (which is all of 3 for this particular site – not much: index, archive, admin).

Might be a worthwhile workaround.

Shawn, March 15, 2005 6:53 pm | permalink