Server Upgrade

March 21, 2005 | Computers

The server got an upgrade tonight. It produced a little down time but its all good now. We’re now running on a Dual 1Ghz MDD with 1.75 GB of Ram. I’m already seeing a great speed improvement in the page load times. I think the old iBook was just a bit overwhelmed with the image generation that needed to take place.

Another thing that is better is the mySQL security. The old server was a bit lax in that I had one main user for all the databases. Now the users are segmented into ownerships and can only be edited by those who have been given privileges. This means that different users can log into the same phpMyAdmin and only see the databases they have privilges on. So my users, the rest of the fuzzy coconut team, will be able to see their personal databases and the master fc database but won’t be able to play jokes on other’s dbs.

And it really wasn’t hard to do for such a slick scheme. It’s pretty darn secure too. The only username and password that is somewhat in the open, meaning that it is hardcoded into the conf file, is a read only user that can check usernames and passwords. Pretty harmless to have out in the open since all the passwords are encrypted in the database.

So, I’m that much closer to providing this server as a central repository for the fc buddy list. It’ll be a busy little server too. It’ll house the gippy pages, the soon to be released puddlemonkey blog (until I can find it a more permanent home with a decent provider), a cvs server, a file server, a SQL server, a Web Server and, maybe, an iTunes server.

We’ll see how it holds up. I was hoping to have gotten more work done tonight but I ended up doing a bit of leg work on getting some drywall guys in here tomorrow, along with an electrician and a plumber to do the finishing touches on the bathroom so I wasn’t as productive as I would have liked. Oh well, life goes on and our bathroom needs to get done.

So, that said, I’m off to let the dogs out and go to bed. ’till next time.

• mm… How about T1? 🙂

Tom, March 22, 2005 12:55 am | permalink

• Rock.

On.

John Pennypacker, March 22, 2005 6:44 am | permalink

• Tom, if you want to pay for it… othewise I think this line will have the push we need to get started.

Shawn, March 22, 2005 7:14 am | permalink

• lol. just put a computer at your work, and run a server.

forwarding the ipaddress to your computer at work isn’t too hard. Just bribe your network admin. 😛

I’m trying to make a Linux/BSD/Mac club on my school. And get a server running……

Tom, March 22, 2005 1:51 pm | permalink

• Oh, I’d love to host this at work, but we’re distributor of network security products that plays heavily in the HIPAA arenas. Needless to say there’s nothing unapproved on the network. Even if it is on the edge of the network.

Shawn, March 22, 2005 2:07 pm | permalink

• Having said that, our online store is running on IIS… blech.

Shawn, March 22, 2005 2:09 pm | permalink

• As I said, approval and such is easy. You just bribe the Network Admin.

Tom, March 22, 2005 7:13 pm | permalink

• Shawn. What’s your email? Or some way to contact you other then putting up irrelevant comments on random posts?

😛 may be you should work on your contact page.

Tom, March 22, 2005 7:15 pm | permalink

• Yeah, I should work on the Admin page…

you can email me at s h a w n at t o p f r o g g r a p h i c s dot c o m

As for the server. AFP is a bit pokey, but AFP has never been the model of efficient networking. FTP is pretty snappy so I think it’ll be good. The hunt now is for a good project management package. I wanted dotproject but it won’t run on php5.

shawn, March 22, 2005 10:26 pm | permalink

• ah. AFP. Useless junk that Apple made. (Sorry to all Apple fans, if I offended anyone. :P) Why can’t they stay with NFS? The traditional way of mounting remote disks over net, and such…

I agree, FTP is much better.

I heard there is always a way to run php4 and php5 simultaneously.

lol. worried about spam, shawn?

Tom, March 22, 2005 10:45 pm | permalink

• Better safe than sorry…

If you find any documentation on using php4 and php5 side by side let me know. I’m very interested.

shawn, March 22, 2005 11:31 pm | permalink

• Seem to have found something…

Linkie Poo

Shawn, March 22, 2005 11:50 pm | permalink

• Aw, crap, I should have read it closer before posting. That’s not running side by side – that is 2 installs that you can switch with a server restart. That’s no good.

Shawn, March 22, 2005 11:51 pm | permalink

• From what I heard from people, it is some kind of apache trick. You run PHP5 on port 80 and PHP4 on port 82, and redirect port 82 -> port 80 request, and stuff. I don’t know, but I would recommend against any kind of dirty hacks on a server.

Tom, March 23, 2005 9:25 pm | permalink

• I was thinking about just that. This is on OS X Server, so Apache2 is there already. I could run the Apache2 with PHP4 and do the redirect like you were talking about. Running multiple versions of Apache isn’t harmful to the system (in fact, in some cases, it is recommended) and shouldn’t represent any kind of performance hit on that server.

The redirect would be pretty simple, as it would only need to redirect the first request…

Shawn, March 24, 2005 7:49 am | permalink