I don’t believe it

June 4, 2005 | Computers

The rumors are flying: Apple to switch to Intel.

I’m gonna put my 2 cents in now: I don’t believe it.

1. Apple can’t survive another huge architecture switch
  2. Who says they’re talking about x86 cpus?
  3. Apple can take the PowerPC anywhere they want from what I understand
  4. Apple loves control: Even if they did switch I doubt they’d switch to a "normal" x86 chip
  5. They’ve got way too large an investment in the PowerPC architecture
  6. Apple doesn’t announce major changes like this very far in advance. It would absolutely kill Mac sales over the next year – nobody would want a processor that is being phased out.

So my vote is in. I don’t think a switch is gonna happen. I think it’ll be a collaborative effort on adding more PPC fabrication capabilities or maybe that Intel has bright ideas for where to take the PPC next. Its no secret that IBM is not enthused about the low yield and profitability of the Macintosh variant of the PPC970, aka: G5, so it would stand to reason that Apple (who is also not happy with Intel’s progress on the G5) to seek alternate methods of fabrication.

• Seems I’m not alone.

Linkie Poo

Shawn Parker, June 5, 2005 6:23 pm | permalink

• I agree with you. There is no way they’d just switch away from PPC. Think about it, almost nothing would run as far as current apps go. I almost wonder if this is apple shooting this kind of shit out to put pressure on IBM to get off their lazy asses.

alden, June 5, 2005 7:29 pm | permalink

• I’ve thought about this being an effort to push IBM, as well, but I don’t think they’d buy it. As long as they’ve been doing what they do, it seems like they’d know as well as anyone that this would be a disastrous move for Apple.

Intel is probably bringing some other technology to Apple, soemone heard of it and got carried away, and now the media is having a feeding frenzy ( fueled mostly by itself ).

antonio, June 6, 2005 1:05 am | permalink

• Yeah, there are a number of good theories out there – one of them being that Apple is interested in the Pentium D for a set top box or some kind of movie delivery service.

I guess we’ll know soon enough.

Shawn, June 6, 2005 8:05 am | permalink

• I don’t believe it.

It’s really happened.

X on x86.

antonio, June 6, 2005 12:32 pm | permalink

• Yeah, this is huge. But if everything they’ve said up to this point is true, ie: Mathmatica was ported in 2 hours, Transitive is being used as a PPC emulator in the new hardware, Adobe is onboard; then we don’t have much to worry about. At this stage I’m more concerned with how the machines are gonna stack up in other ways – we know they’ll be fast when running at 3.4 or 3.6ghz. The question is does this open up the hardware to be more compatible with, say, an off the shelf TNT nVidia 6800?

Shawn, June 6, 2005 1:52 pm | permalink