The fcXHTML Widget is Live!

July 11, 2005 | Life

After about a month in development (not counting the time that we set it down and didn’t work on it) the FuzzyCoconut XHTML Widget is here.

image

I have to say that this project wouldn’t have come to fruition without the initial push by John but after a lot of tweaking and critiquing Fuzzy Coconut, made up of John, Joel, Harold, and me has finally produced a product.

There’s a lot about the back end of this that I haven’t even tried to understand yet since its all pretty much JavaScript and XMLHTTPRequest, something I’ve played with very little. But tonight I can’t begin to explain how excited I am to see our widget on Apple’s Dashboard Widget website.

The widget has also been submitted to a few other places so we’ll see what kind of response that we get. I’m using this myself just about every other day so I have to think that some people will find it useful. It’s being let out under a donationware license – we’re not requiring any money but we appreciate any contributions that help fund our server that helps us make endeavors like this possible.

So, by all means, if you code your own XHTML and are running OSX 10.4 Tiger give it a test and let us know what you think. Even if you’re still making sites in HTML 4.0 standard much of this widget will still apply to you. And please let us know what you think. Any and all comment are welcome at the Fuzzy Coconut Website contact page.

> Update: MacUpdate now has us listed.

> Update: Now listed at DashboardWidgets.com as well.

> Update: A big thanks to everyone who checked us out. We saw more than 350 downloads in our first day and were flattered by stellar reviews on both MacUpdate and DashboardWidgets. Thank you, thank you all. Stay tuned as we’re getting started on a CSS widget that’s gonna put the other CSS widgets to shame.

• Awesome widget. It now has a permanent home on my Dashboard. Thank you, everyone at Fuzzy Coconut.

Max, July 12, 2005 6:23 am | permalink

• I don’t get it. 🙁

CrabbyCakes, July 12, 2005 11:38 pm | permalink

• Man, crabby, you’re a tough crowd.

However, I do have another geeky post lined up, but after that I think I have something that you’ll be able to sink you teeth into. Stay tuned for "Training dogs, training humans"

Shawn Parker, July 12, 2005 11:45 pm | permalink

• It might have been a little more useful if it was php, java, perl, xslt, python or some complex scripting language. But, the GUI is perfect. There are so many crappy widgets out there, it is not even funny.

tom, July 13, 2005 12:06 am | permalink

• well, honestly, the complex scripting languages take a while to compile into useable data. Just rehashing the PHP manual wouldn’t suffice – it takes quite a bit of work to pair down those long libraries of functions into something useable and that qualifies as a ‘quick reference’

As a first run we’re ecstatic with how this came out. We’ll be tackling larger projects as we gain experience and have time – getting sqlite running with our widgets would be a huge advantage with those languages that have larger libraries but there’s so little documentation of Dashboard Plugins right now its not even funny.

Shawn Parker, July 13, 2005 12:51 am | permalink

• Shawn goes professional on that reply, jeez. 😉

tom, July 13, 2005 2:11 pm | permalink

• Yeah, I guess I did – but the goal still stands – I’m gonna make a widget talk to Sqlite if it, well, makes me tired…

I just need to find documentation on it.

Shawn, July 13, 2005 2:56 pm | permalink

• They love us! They really love us!

joel schou, July 16, 2005 2:28 pm | permalink