Gippy Pages = top-frog

July 26, 2005 | Computers

Well, I finally got around to it. Using the advice of Tom and xSmurf I’ve finally gotten this site a domain. I had www.top-frog.com just pulling duty as a place to stuff, well, stuff. Now it is the new home of the Gippy Pages.

So, if you’ve actually bookmarked this monstrosity, please update your bookmark to the new address.

Just for the record, too, Andy’s site has moved to www.puddlemonkey.com. I bought that url for her a while ago but it was suffering the same fate with no DNS to point a domain name with.

Thank you ZoneEdit! And thank you Tom and xSmurf.

• I actually didn’t yell at you about ZoneEdit through email, I did it through milkbasilica.com but niceee… Now, gippy pages look more professional with the new domain name.

tom, July 26, 2005 9:22 pm | permalink

• Now, I’m glad you posted, I installed ddclient but can’t tell if its working or not.

Any way to tell?

Shawn Parker, July 26, 2005 9:26 pm | permalink

• Installed in gentoo?

After just emerging it, and adding it to the run level, (Obviously, ddclient.conf should be edited.) it is pretty much running. Oh, don’t forget to do /etc/init.d/ddclient unless you want to restart. /etc/init.d/ddclient status might tell you if it is running, I guess..

tom, July 27, 2005 7:21 am | permalink

• No, installed on OSX via fink… the documentation on that is less than thorough.

Shawn Parker, July 27, 2005 7:25 am | permalink

• Did you edit ddclient.conf, though? Once you are done that, you should probably do sudo ddclient in the terminal, and it should work.

I also found something that might be useful. Never done ddclient on a Mac, so, not sure how to put it up on a run level and have root level authentication for it and such.

tom, July 27, 2005 9:15 am | permalink

• I did edit the conf file. That was pretty straight forward. I’m just unclear about some of the same things you are…

Shawn Parker, July 27, 2005 10:38 am | permalink

• Oh, and thanks for the link

Shawn Parker, July 27, 2005 10:38 am | permalink

• Btw, why didn’t you try clients for Mac OSX? They got nice GUIs 😉 but certainly not the pimpness of Terminal! 🙂

tom, July 27, 2005 11:38 am | permalink

• I figured 2 recommendations for something was good enough for me… maybe I’ll give those gui apps a shot. One of them mentioned a daemon mode if I recall correctly.

Shawn Parker, July 27, 2005 11:41 am | permalink

• Bah to you. Now I have to update my bookmark. That’s 3 seconds of my life!

Joey B., July 27, 2005 12:55 pm | permalink

• Jesus christ. Will you please have top-frog.com point to http://www.top-frog.com or something? It is killing me!

Tom, August 12, 2005 7:55 pm | permalink

• Bitch bitch bitch…

Shawn Parker, August 12, 2005 9:01 pm | permalink

• Hm, seems you can’t set a ServerAlias with the OSX admin tools… had to edit the virtual host file by hand. Oh, the agony!

Shawn Parker, August 12, 2005 9:23 pm | permalink

• One more bitching. Looks like you set some redirection to http://www.top-frog.com/ when I do top-frog.com

First I was here.

Linkie Poo

Then I got rid of the www, and I was here.

Linkie Poo

Well, mod_rewrite seems to add the .php to the archives file. The problem is, I see "archives.php" subheading on the grey area instead of archives. Hehe, there is always something 🙂

Tom, August 14, 2005 10:59 am | permalink

• I didn’t use mod-rewrite I used serverAlias in the virtual host directive. Now that’s a pisser as the addition of the .php typically screws up the system.

I’ll have to actually do a mod-rewrite then – which sucks because the mod-rewrite needs to go on a different virtual host… there’s got to be a better way of doing it – I think I’m gonna try making the default name for this host top-frog.com instead of http://www.top-frog.com and see if that makes it easier to deal with.

Shawn, August 14, 2005 11:07 am | permalink

• Why don’t you just add another VirtualHost entry that is the same as http://www.top-frog.com instead of putting ServerAlias. A bit more typing, but does the job.

Tom, August 14, 2005 4:32 pm | permalink

• Yeah, I ran across that solution as well. I might give that a shot.

Shawn, August 14, 2005 9:34 pm | permalink

• But, then again, I think I’m gonna get rid of the home server and do this all via paid hosting since I can get a smokin deal for all 3 sites. I’ll have an old G3 iBook to mess around with (I won’t go completely without a server) so I think I’ll be OK.

Know anybody who wants to buy a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 1.75 GB of Ram?

Shawn, August 14, 2005 9:36 pm | permalink

• Bah, well. How much you going to pay for your hosting? I still think, especially since you are so paranoid, you should stick with your own home server. The load time is not that bad at all. (Do you have tar.gz over HTTP turned on? Can’t be bothered to check)

How much you willing to let go that bad boy? 😉

Tom, August 15, 2005 11:05 am | permalink

• Let’s just say that its a smokin’ deal on the 3 sites…

And this site runs with no compression at all – I just try to keep the html and images as lightweight as possible. Granted, it still needs an overhaul but its pretty lightweight.

As far as price, they still look to be going for $900 – $1000 on eBay similarly equipped. Everymac.com lists them as being worth around $1200.

Specs

• Dual 1Ghz MDD
    • Factory OS – 10.2 (?) and Classic
    • 1.75GB Ram
    • ATi 9000 Pro 64mb Video, AGP 4x
    • 80GB ATA-100 7200 RPM stock HD
    • 30GB ATA-133 7200 RPM additional HD
    • 2x DVD-RW/CD-RW Superdrive
    • Original KB and Mouse
    • All manuals and original CDs

Shawn, August 15, 2005 12:48 pm | permalink

• Not too bad. If I needed a computer, I would buy it. But then, I already have five…

Tom, August 17, 2005 12:03 am | permalink

• Selling that guy will get us down to 4:

15" Powerbook – mine

12" Powerbook – the wife’s

Clamshell iBook – my old test server, to be reinstated to active duty as the Puppycam server

HP Omnibook – token windows machine