Star Streaks Photo

September 24, 2005 | Photography

imageThis is a photo taken at Dillon Resevoir just outside of Dillon, CO.

I actually took this photo when out trying to catch a meteor shower but messed up my dates and went out a day early. I caught no meteors on film that night…

Andy spent the evening in the car hiding from bears.

I believe that this was a 30 minute exposure. It was taken with a Canon EOS 10s with a Sigma 24mm f2.8 lens.

• Why was Puddles hiding in the car from you?

CrabbyCakes, September 24, 2005 10:23 am | permalink

• Cause he’s scary

PuddleMonkey, September 24, 2005 11:40 am | permalink

• Just. How do you manage to have 30 minute exposure? I went out to a near by golf course, and setup a Pentex SLR on a tripod, and tried to get the lightening coming down, but never worked out the way I wanted to. It was wayyyy too bright for my liking.

Tom, September 24, 2005 11:38 pm | permalink

• You’ll need a camera capable of doing bulb mode. On a manual SLR you need a shutter release cable that locks. On a more modern SLR you’ll need to have a bulb option. Bulb is where the camera has the ability to lock the shutter open. Mine will only work with a remote control and it locks the mirror up first so that any camera shake is minimized.

Even if you know you’ll have camera shake when tripping the shutter you can simply block the lens with a hat or something until you think it has calmed down enough to do the exposure.

For lightning I like 15-30 second exposures. I have a few here that I can scan and post as examples if you’d like.

Shawn, September 25, 2005 12:09 am | permalink

• I’m just a newb in photography. All I know is how to change the exposure settings, white balance, focus, etc. etc. If I had a bulb mode SLR (mind you, this is a digital Pentex SLR), would it say on the package or what? Will there be an option on the menu panel?

Yea, sure. I’d love to see them. I actually saw a couple of photos that had the lightening coming down from the sky and touching the ground, and I thought I’d try that out but… never worked.

Tom, September 25, 2005 10:09 am | permalink

• You’d have to consult the manual under where it explains exposure settings. If you can put the camera into manual mode then see how long of an exposure you can set.

What model camera is it?

Shawn, September 25, 2005 11:39 am | permalink

• It is Pentax DS2 SLR Digital. Obviously, it ain’t mine. I borrow SLRs from school whenever I need it. I have a small and good-enough point-n-shoot camera from Casio: Exilim EX-Z750

Tom, September 25, 2005 7:29 pm | permalink

• Tom, you should be all set to do bulb functions on that camera. From the site:

Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter 1/4000 – 30 sec. and bulb

Play around with your exposure settings, and when you do, make sure you’re on the lowest ISO setting, something like 100 speed film, and that you set your aperature wide open (set your f-stop to the highest number it’ll go to). Set focus on what you want to be your focal point (besides the lightning – set to infinity if you don’t have any close objects). Then you should be pretty good. Depending upon the frequency of the lightning and the lighting conditions around the area you should play with 15 – 30 second exposures.

Shawn, September 25, 2005 7:34 pm | permalink

• That was Greek, wasn’t it? I’ll toy around later. Whew. That was hard to read.

Tom, September 25, 2005 9:45 pm | permalink

• Tom,

I found this article to be a little more information that needed, but a good basis for deciphering my last post.

Shawn, September 26, 2005 1:04 am | permalink