Side Scrolling in Adobe – keep your hands on the keyboard

June 30, 2006 | Computers

Scrolling up and down is easy. If you have a scroll wheel mouse or a laptop with trackpad scrolling abilities then vertical scrolling is a piece of cake.

If you have a PowerBook/MacBook or a Mighty Mouse then side scrolling is easy too – simply drag two fingers or roll that little ball left or right and you’re scrolling sideways.

The pain in the patootie is when you don’t have easy side scrolling. Thankfully there’s at least easy ways to do it in a few Adobe programs.

InDesign

Hold down the option key while scrolling and you’re scrolling sideways. This one has a bug on Windows though: if you want to go from scrolling one way to another then you have to click inside the document inbetween directions. Weird, yes, but so is Windows (it sucks).

Photoshop

Hold down the control key while scrolling and you’re heading sideways. Hold down option and you’re scrolling diagonally.

Illustrator

Sorry – no workie.

Acrobat

Also no workie.

Though terribly inconsistent it is nice not to have to reach for the scrollbars to get around a document.

• Gotta love my mighty mouse.

Tom, July 1, 2006 11:59 pm | permalink

• Weird, the only application I have ever gotten side scrolling to work using my laptops trackpad was Illustrator! Therefore side scrolling must work in it, I am just not sure how my trackpad makes it happen.

x86eon, July 3, 2006 1:58 am | permalink

• x86eon: I was writing this in reference to not having a Mighty Mouse or scrolling trackpad… side scrolling with both of those works in just about any program I’ve tried to do it in. This is for those that just have a vertical scrolling aid, like a mouse with scroll wheel, for instance. Illustrator itself does not have a built in modifier to change a vertical scroll command from the mouse into a horizontal scroll.

My main reason for looking into this was that I use Winders where I work and only have vertical scrolling abilities. I haven’t looked into a mouse that scrolls sideways for Windows yet. Are there even any that do this yet? I guess I should take a look into the Logitech tools to see if I can assign a key modifier to get side scroll through the mouse instead of through the program… maybe thumb button + scroll could send me sideways.

Shawn, July 3, 2006 6:30 am | permalink

• urrghh… You can stick your mightymouse to Windows. I’m not sure if the side scroll works though.

Tom, July 3, 2006 10:02 pm | permalink

• Mighty mouse side scroll works in Winders?

Shawn, July 3, 2006 10:55 pm | permalink

• my mx1000 won’t sidescroll in illustrator and it makes me cry.

gozer, July 6, 2006 7:51 am | permalink