Add Bash syntax highlighting to Coda

May 27, 2010 | Computers

Coda LogoJust a quick tip here. Panic’s web-focused IDE Coda uses SubEthaEdit’s rendering engine. Coda uses an OLDER version of SubEthaEdit’s rendering engine. So if you want to add syntax highlighting modes to Coda they have to be older versions.

I wanted to add the Bash syntax mode from SubEthaEdit to Coda, but had to go back a few versions in SubEthaEdit to get one that would load. Fortunately SubEthaEdit 2.2 is still available for download and contains a compatible Bash mode.

To extract it you need to download the SubEthaEdit 2.2 version and mount the .dmg file. Right click on the SubEthaEdit icon and select “Show Package Contents”. Navigate to the Resources/modes folder and copy the bash.mode to your “~/Library/Application Support/Coda/Modes” folder. Restart Coda if it was open.

I’m not sure how to identify the newer versions of modes other than to just let Coda tell me that it won’t work after I add the mode, and I’m not sure what it is about the newer modes that invalidates them for the older rendering engine in Coda. At least we’re not left out in the cold, though.

It’s no TextMate, but it’ll work 😉

• Great thanks a lot! Thats what I have just been lookin for!

Marius, August 10, 2010 3:02 pm | permalink

• This is fantastic! absolutely what I was looking for…;-D I really appreciate that you riddled this out.

cheers,
    m!

Mikel King, September 3, 2010 10:07 am | permalink

• Great solution. Works like a charm for me.
    Thanks a lot!

mau, November 26, 2010 1:20 pm | permalink

• super cool. thnx!

thinbegin, September 13, 2011 12:24 am | permalink

• Thank you SO much… I’ve messed up my Coda install pretty good in the past when trying to fix this!

zigmoo, October 21, 2011 2:33 pm | permalink

• Thank you ! Great solution ! It work very well !

StephVM, January 26, 2012 2:26 pm | permalink

• Thanks for this information. I know it was years ago now but my entire workflow begins and ends in coda so having bash syntax highlighting makes my life better.

Cramus, March 29, 2012 6:08 am | permalink

• This didn’t work for me even though I followed it to the letter. To say I was disappointed was an overstatement. Mildly annoyed… possibly but it seems CODA 2 > does not like this work around 🙁

Shaun, February 26, 2013 8:11 am | permalink

• Well, to be fair this article is almost 3 years old. When written SubEthaEdit and Coda shared the same version of the syntax highlighting engine.

Coda 2 appears to have moved to a newer version. I tried pulling in the bash mode from the current SubEthaEdit version and that, while it properly recognized bash files, it didn’t colorize anything.

I’ve long since abandoned hope on being productive in Coda and all my mental efforts are in TextMate and the JetBrains suite of products.

Shawn, February 26, 2013 9:28 am | permalink