Fork me on GitHub


Site Search Added

June 22, 2005 | Life

As it sits now it is a bit crude, but in no way rude. The datebox has been replaced with a searchbox – this has been my plan all along but I just finally got around to implementing it.

The search program is htDig and it works wonderfully. It is a spider based catalog system with a ton of configuration options. Installation was a bit tricky as I compiled straight from source, but once the unix mumbo jumbo was all done the install was perfect.

I’ve completely bypassed the standard form output and customized all of it to fit into the site template – doing so meant pushing an exec command to a shell script but its fast and complete – so I have no worries.

It looks a bit raw now but I plan on sprucing it up a bit. But for that we’ll all have to be patient. I think I should go pull some weeds now, they’re getting a bit tall out there on the corner…

7 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

  • obviously it’s inadequate, a search for –; breaks the system.

    tobo, June 22, 2005 8:01 pm | permalink

  • Oh, now that’s an easy fix…

    Shawn Parker, June 22, 2005 9:03 pm | permalink

  • any word ending in ; doesn’t work either. like hax; or food;.

    tobo, June 23, 2005 7:12 am | permalink

  • I think it’s keen. right on.

    John Pennypacker, June 23, 2005 7:30 am | permalink

  • Yeah, tobobo, you found the only bug so far… the search system likes to use the semi-colon to separate parameters internally, so a semi-colon can break the script. I think there’s a way to disable that since its not absolutely required but it requires manual manipulation of the code and I have yet to find out where to make that change.

    Shawn, June 23, 2005 7:34 am | permalink

  • And, I have some tweaking to do for IEWin… go figure. At least its just a layout bug, nothing with the script.

    Shawn, June 23, 2005 9:09 am | permalink

  • Oh, man, I haven’t looked at this site in IE in a while, I’ve got several bugs to sqaush.

    Shawn, June 23, 2005 9:10 am | permalink

Comments are closed